Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Sunday 1 March 2015

Standing Up to UKIP in Margate

Both the author and her husband are in this picture - if you look carefully...


This is the front of the anti-UKIP march that I helped organise on Saturday (well, if I'd waited until Saturday it wouldn't have been very organised.- ha-ha). 

Although I spent much of the day feeling anxious and "on duty" it went off remarkably well and everyone was kind and smiley and my jacket was admired as usual (despite the hi-vis vest on top of it) and there was singing and laughing and brilliant posters - and quite good speeches, although I didn't really hear most of them.  I spent 4 hours standing/walking without sitting down - which is why today I am completely knackered.  

It felt worth it - we brought out a lot of people who don't normally appear locally - and to feel the support we got from people waving from windows (yes there were some vote UKIP posters too) and vehicles, including an ambulance, hooting as they went past was great.

There were the predictable shouts from the fascists - the EDL stood by the clocktower - and the Britain First lot were outside the Winter Gardens "guarding" UKIP.   Nigel wasn't there - and neither was Douglas Carswell - he left the conference while we were still assembling at the station.  So really it was just the usual Dad's Army types there plus a few suits who walked briskly past us..

Interesting, if unsurprising, that the fash don't stick together - unlike us.  Although I have joked about Thanet SUTU being mild-mannered, middle aged people, with this march lots of young people were there, and it was good to have evidence that there is a real visceral resistance to them.  In some ways the young are more opposed, because they haven't seen this sort of thing before, whereas a lot of us saw the rise of the NF in the 70s and very nasty they were: old Rock Against Racism and Anti-Nazi League logos have been revived and re-utilised, and as well as the "official" SUTU and Socialst Workers banners there were many great home made, individual creative efforts.

Are the left better-looking than the right?

There is a wonderful set of photos here https://www.facebook.com/funk.dooby.5?fref=photo&sk=photos which give a flavour of the day.   I will post a few below - but the last observation I want to make is that while us lefties were a pretty cheerful, nice-looking bunch of people, it was quite striking that the fash and their chums on the whole are pretty ugly.  I wonder whether from an early age they'd experienced less positive reactions - as the less cute child they were smiled at less, and it goes on from there.  Can that have somehow transposed into a wider perception that the world was against them, and then a search for someone to blame?

Here's a section of the crowd photographing the far right who are "guarding" UKIP - if our lot look less than sunny it is because the fash are snarling and shouting at them...




I think my observation about the fash is fair.  That hoodie does him no favours. 


Two of my favourite home made placards from the demo - and the essence of the cheerful atmosphere!

I should also say that I did two media interviews, one with Meridian - which wasn't shown - since they decided it was more important to report on the "violence" - they failed to explain it very well, but essentially what happened is that a fascist ran to the crowd because he was being photographed, seized a placard and broke it and was then restrained by the police.  So that was Meridian's story.  The BBC rather awkwardly filmed me as I was walking along with the banner.  I was shown for a few seconds and said something good - but I looked beyond hideous.  Fortunately they used most of what I said behind pictures of the demo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment