Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Thursday 26 January 2017

What to do with money

Of course, I occasionally indulge in fantasies about money.   What I would do if I had more, just a bit more, and what I would do if I had an enormous amount more.

I would pay for proper psychotherapy for a couple of people I know.  Finish doing up the house, and get carpets!

One of the things I would enjoy would be the relative freedom to do things I liked.  Ever since our trip to Naples last autumn, I've subscribed to an email called "Naples Weekender" which tells you fun things to do in Naples.  It arrives every Thursday.   This weekend it informs me that Rigoletto, one of my favourite operas, is coming up the Teatro San Carlo for a couple of weeks.    If I were rich, I would book a couple of flights to Naples and go and see a performance, spend another day or two there to do something else, see a museum or a church we missed last time, go to some better places to eat, and then buzz home again.

In the grand scheme of things, this probably wouldn't cost more than a thousand pounds, because we wouldn't stay anywhere posh, the opera tickets aren't expensive, and neither are flights in January.  However, although I do actually have £1000 available, it also has to be available for a great many other things, so I will not be doing this.  It's a shame.  I loved Naples and would gladly go again.

There is a downside to this idea, the time spent travelling there, the relative discomfort of planes etc.  But still, I'm sure it would be worth it, it's not as if we would be doing it every weekend.   But how lovely that would be, to be able to go to the opera in Naples or Verona or Rome or Venice whenever we had the urge.  Of course, we can go in London, whenever we have the urge - except that I believe it would probably cost more to buy a pair of the best seats in Covent Garden plus the cost of the rail tickets than to buy a pair of the best seats at San Carlo and the cost of the plane... and we might have to spend a night in London if we wanted to see an opera that closed after the last trains.


No comments:

Post a Comment