Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Friday 3 January 2014

Happiness

There - that's not a word you often see in this blog - but there has been a definite sense of it seeping over me in the last few weeks.  The depression has lifted and I'm wondering what the "trick" has been... it could be the loan from my father - and it could be Christmas - distractions that take me away from the life as slave of the lap-top.  It could be social life peppered with feelings of general bonhomie, it could be a short-term reduction of money worries...it could be the disturbing knowledge that our house is FULL of wine...which of course means I don't want to drink at all!

I've been reading various scraps of stuff about happiness - from FB posts mostly.  There seem to be some actual "tricks" - it seems that I have most of the qualities that make up a fairly happy person, but somehow over the last few years these haven't been dominant qualities.  Now I need to re-assert them - I feel very positive about things, about the future of The Ash Grove, it's only been turned down by two people so far!  I want to make vol 2 different - more episodic, less of a straightforward narrative... and have more characters... develop people like Arthur, and so on.  Anyway, at the moment I am happy because I have had a nice evening - the Atkins diet coupled with Christmas cake and not too much booze is very pleasant - and I have a nice light novel to read for the reading group, and because my old friend M finally emerged from her life as a carer and re-joined us - and we had a good chat.  And now I am listening to old episodes of The Old Grey Whistle Test and indie hits from my adolescence - which I am now more or less able to listen to without pain and nostalgia.  Result!   Gosh - could the curse of 2009 be finally lifting from my life?  Well, probably, unless I see the LO soon..and sod's law suggests I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment