Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Monday 1 September 2014

Holiday Reading

There is something lovely about being able to read for long stretches - and I took a huge box of books with me and I have read 3-4 of them - Antonia Fraser's "Love and Louis XIV" which was not especially illuminating.... but an agreeable reminder of all the old jokes and anecdotes.  Too much is known and written about these people (the Versaille court) to make writing any kind of novel about them really illuminating.  Then I hurled myself into JK Rowling's "The Casual Vacancy" which was both better and worse than I had expected - generally fairly enjoyable... but....it's an interesting topic - the way people at the bottom of the heap are disregarded in society...and the results.  A rather depressing take on matters... Then I read a rather enjoyable Zola - "The Ladies Paradise"  (Au Bonheur des Dames) which is didactic on the topic of the development of department stores.  He is broadly sympathetic to "progress" and those who stand in its way are chewed up.  The rise of Denise the heroine is a bit mystifying really - but it's a Cinderella story basically.

Finally I read a book which I found on the bookshelf at the Hotel Atlantique in Mimizan - there were a mix of English and French novels.   I read the book with disbelief - it was a sort of Enid Blyton for grown ups.  It lacked the youthful energy and enthusiasm of a Blyton work - but had roughly similar restricted vocabulary and plot ideas.  There was one surprise in the plot - yet true to form that had been flagged up earlier on.  I described the plot to Finn and Mark at dinner at the hotel - and they agreed it was completely pathetic - "Why would anyone publish that?"  Finn asked.    Then I was able to triumphantly flourish the answer - "Because it's by Richard Madeley [a famous UK tv presenter and co-host of a "Book Club" on tv].   I was shocked because I've always found him a reasonably engaging and intelligent character - but this book was so flat and lifeless I am amazed at it.  Didn't he wonder himself whether it was "good enough"?  This man recommended books like David Mitchell's "Cloud Atlas" - how did he think it was worth hainding this in without adding to it: more characters more ooomph, more complexity.  Or has research revealed that there is a market for adult Enid Blyton?  Mind is boggling....Going to bed now - doubt if I'll finish the book about the Templars tonight somehow!

No comments:

Post a Comment