Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Thursday 9 February 2017

Sick Diaries 1

One of the reasons I haven't been keeping up with the blog much is because I have been sick.    The gynaecological (fibroid) problem petered out with my oestrogen supplies, but I still found that my foot problem, which turned out to be gout, was getting me down.   However, by October, the gout medication was working, I was far less stiff and achey and I had the benefit of a lovely Neapolitan holiday, so I was feeling almost oojah-cum-spiff.   In November two things happened, firstly another attack of gout, and secondly the beginnings of the stomach pains.    These have ebbed and flowed for the last two months, and have been provisionally diagnosed as gallstones, but as a result I have been more or less in pain every day since.

The reason I think things are a bit odd is that the pain is not behaving like gallstones (yes, I do have pains across the back, but there are other symptoms too).  What I have learned is that I can only eat minuscule amounts of anything.  So I can have a perfectly satisfactory lunch of 4 chocolates - giving me all the fat and calories I need to keep going, or an apple, but an apple seems to inflame my stomach (as does apple juice - which I was told was a sovereign remedy for gallstones - it softens them apparently).    Things that seem to agree with my stomach are: cheese, chocolate, cake, biscuits coffee, bread, porridge, milk (this would point towards an ulcer), while fruit doesn't seem to work, apart from bananas.   I am also finding that the long food free afternoon is bad, I get ravenous and then eat too much (in quantity terms, not calories) before supper.  I then spend the evening in pain.   Last night I discovered fish and chips was not terribly good.  Probably ate too much.

Anyway, the crux of this is that I feel considerably lower in energy.  I went down stairs earlier, washed up, hung out the washing and then felt knackered.  In the middle of doing that, I felt great, I felt "better", but bending and stretching played havoc with my stomach and the pain came back.    So all my thoughts that I WOULD manage to do some submissions to agents this afternoon, have turned to mush, and I am not feeling up to it.  I don't know how long this period is going to last, but I am thoroughly fed up with it.

I have been promised a fast track appointment, to look at this, which ought to happen in the next week (as it did not happen this week).  Perhaps that will make some progress.   I imagine they they will whip out my gallbladder within about 6 months, after which, life may return to normal.   In the meantime, I just wish it was possible to live without eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment