Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Wednesday 13 February 2013

A New Year

So, day one of my personal New Year, I am not taking any notice of the number attached to it.   Sadly despite the amazing excitement of the Sun being conjunct my natal sun and it being a time for new initiatives, my only new initiative has been to start reading a book about geology.  This tends to put one's miserable human life in perspective.  So far I have learned a great deal - chiefly that diamonds are not forever, but degrade into graphite over time, and that there was plenty of life before the "Cambrian Explosion" but it didn't leave fossils - however, traces can be found of these diverse things.  Still one wonders why there was this vast evolutionary leap in the Cambrian period?  But perhaps it was just as Dawkins explains it in The Blind Watchmaker.

My birthday was really nice - I went out to WeightWatchers in the morning, was given permission to eat what I liked on the day, then to get back in there the following day.  I then visited Waitrose and bought some nice lunch, bread, prawns, ham and salami, houmous and taramasalata, etc. and we ate those (well, I ate the prawns and the taramasalata - but they ate the other stuff).  We were all at home, since Finn had a cold.  In the afternoon I amused myself with my smartphone - I am getting used to it, but it's annoying...  I also did a certain amount of washing up and kitchen tidying, but didn't mind much, and there was a good play about Dusty Springfield in S. Africa on the radio.  Then we had the fantastic cake the boys had made for me - an almond cake - at my request, with plain butter icing (should have been orange, but no matter) my original suggestion of chocolate butter icing had been forgotten.  It was a surprising cake - rather flat and dense, a bit like eating marzipan - but the only almond in it was essence.  I might do it again one day but with an orange glaze and some roasted almonds on top.

We then had a lovely fire in the dining room - Finn and I made cocktails (Negronis) and we drank those and ate cheese footballs... and then we had fish and chips, accompanied by some of our Christmas Sancerre, followed by pancakes which I made for them earlier.  I made some with grated apple and mixed spice, which were quite nice.  I think I may finally have got the hang of pancakes... it was quite stress free making them.

So now, back to real life.  I wish I felt more inspired and clear about what I was doing and where I was going, but I do actually feel quite positive about it - despite my cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment