Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Friday 1 August 2014

One use of prayer

At the moment whenever I go onto FB half my news feed is things about Gaza which people have shared.  Given my complex feelings about the situation, I am beginning to feel things have been over-shared.  As predicted, the anti-Israeli feeling has tipped into anti-semitism - and I have stopped following a couple of people for the duration.

It is horrible and tragic - but there is nothing I can do about it.  Posting on FB does nothing - except show how angry you are - we can sign petitions, sure, and of course I have. But really:  Dear UN, please stop it!  The bien-pensants of the West are seriously upset by this.    There, sorted!

I understand the frustration at the injustice and inhumanity of it, I find it almost impossible to understand why the Israeli military is so fixated on this objective.   And I seriously wonder whether some people are becoming unhinged by this.  It occurs to me that something like the serenity prayer should be posted on a regular basis - with a tag referring to the relevant political issue.   For those of you who do not know, the serenity prayer is  below - it is a little bland - but it is also very helpful.

It occurs to me that prayer itself can provide serenity - when you have really prayed about an issue, thought about it, talked to God about it - and told him you simply cannot do anything about it and could he take over - then you often get closure on a matter.  You stop suffering from outrage and fury and impotence.  Acknowledging one's own impotence (see below) is a very important thing to do.  So it is a shame more people do not or cannot pray.  The "imaginary friend" up there is always there to listen to you - and occasionally in the course of praying, you have an insight (aka the working of the Holy Spirit) which helps you go on with a matter - to take action even, to say the right thing to someone.  Prayer can stop you becoming obsessive about issues.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment