Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Wednesday 17 December 2014

At last the cavalry

What I like about good news is the way it arrives when you are not pacing up and down expecting it - so I was in the last throes of the freelance lunch and was chatting with someone who was drunker than me.... (not the only one either, have I finally learned moderation?), when my brother in law rang and announced that the money had landed!

Joy was unconfined ish - actually, I was restrained, no need to open a bottle of wine - I had already had sufficient... I texted Ned and asked my sis-in-law for her bank details.  This morning I repaid some debts.  I will do a few more tomorrow.  I would have liked to savour the sight of a £50K bank statement a little bit longer, but hey, it will go up again in a few days...



I was pleased to discover that the habits of frugality were undimmed.  Going around Sainsbury's with M & F we were modest in our purchases (considering it was Christmas...).  I decided to go to Aldi for certain products (parma ham, olive oil and red wines) rather than splash out at Sainsbury.  We did buy some inexpensive champagne - I was briefly tempted by Piper Heidsieck, but then I considered that if you were making champagne cocktails it was much less important what you used, in fact prosecco would be sufficient.

What else?  Nothing really, it's not really frugality - just learning what is essential and what is not.  "Nothing but the best" is all very well as a slogan, but one doesn't need the most expensive ingredients to make the best food.

We came home to slow cooked lamb and roast veg, and a lot of unpacking...  .I also finally chipped the charred surfaces off the cake (oh, the tragedy!) and finished mixing the pudding... I poured more whisky into the cake, and thought the flavour was pretty good, once one got beneath the carboniferous!  Tomorrow, the pudding...finally.  It has been standing about for days (without apparent harm).

When not carrying out my fiscal and domestic duties, I contacted the Guardian about the far right's obnoxious behaviour towards my friend B... death threats etc.  But that's another story, and can wait to see how it develops




No comments:

Post a Comment