Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Tuesday 3 November 2015

Moribund cat

On Hsllowe'en an old, manky, black and white cat came and sat outside the kitchen door in the little area next to the kitchen loo.  Finn gave her some food and said she looked ill.   The next morning she was still there, food untouched.  I noticed she was breathing strangely, and was sure she was dying. She had a worn red plaited collar with a bell on it, but no address (well, cats don't do they).  I looked at her sadly, but had no idea what to do.  She wasn't ours, so what could we do?  It was clearly to late for the vet.  A bit later she shifted, and I thought perhaps she was feeling better.   Then she went, but only into the darkness of the outside loo.  Later she disappeared, and I was rather glad, that she had clearly gone off somewhere else to die.
There just was something rather depressing about it, that a creature will come to your house to die.  I know cats do this, Aphra went off somewhere else to die, so someone else must have found her and disposed of her body.  It is also the fact that you can't offer any comfort apart from a little stroke or scratch.  I didn't want to pick her up, because of the way she was breathing, I though it might cause pain.  I also feel sad for her owners, who probably realise what's happened, but would still have liked, perhaps, to tend her through the last hours.  So now she is in the great catnip fields where she may frolic at will.... I have never really thought animals had an afterlife - but dog owners in particular are vehement on this topic.  .  

No comments:

Post a Comment