Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Tuesday 26 January 2016

Good bye to all that

I've been thinking about decluttering, because we have far too much stuff, and some of it I am very attached to but there are also items that are endlessly being moved from place to place.  Two ideas have come together: I heard someone say that one should get rid of one item a day. Years ago when we wanted to get rid of the kids' toys someone suggested we photograph them before getting rid of them, so the boys could always have the memory years after they had grown out of the toys.   So, I am thinking of trying at 365 day blog on the topic.   This is a test post, I needed to see how easy it is to use my tablet to photograph things and upload them here. It is extremely easy. So here is today's object. My old shoes:


  These shoes were bought in 2009, early in the year.  I was wearing them in April that year when I went to a rather fateful private view in Oxford.  They are Clarks shoes and were really comfortable for the first few years.    I stopped wearing them in winter 2014/5 by which time they had been mended about 3 times, and the upper was tearing away from the base of the shoe, again, and the cobbler refused to do them again.  I wore them all the time.  They weren't in the least lovely.  For a while I kept them near the back door for use in the garden, but they were too far gone - my feet got wet, the unlovely rubber clogs were more practical. 

I don't know if this picture does them justice - the backs weren't crushed like that - I was using them to slop about it indoors before I finally decided that my slippers were better.    A couple of weeks ago I bought some new winter shoes.  They are less lovely to look at than these, being lace up Hotters with thick soles and a slight hint of "surgical boot" about them.  

The only decision is whether to give the items their own blog, or to keep them here.  I think it's own blog might be more fun.  Yes - this is the address for the other blog   http://schmoozydeclutter.blogspot.co.uk/ but the first post is basically this, only written slightly more elegantly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment