Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Tuesday 17 February 2015

The Candidate

I am now a Labour candidate for Thanet District Council, in Viking Ward Broadstairs in a seat that has never been won by Labour.  The word candidate comes, as you may know, from the latin candidus - white, shining, bright etc.   Nowadays a candidate has to be whiter than white.  

I live a pretty well ordered life, no cruelty, abuse, affairs, underhand financial dealings etc.  However, it has been pointed out to me that UKIP will be scrutinising the social media of candidates, and using anything discreditable that's been said.  So, since I have treated my blog rather like an online diary, I will now have to remove everything that contains anyone's name and a revelation of my personal feelings.  I have always been glad to be frank and honest, and perhaps even slightly trenchant in my views... these will now be supressed until after the election on May 7th.

Mercifully, probably, the most popular posts do not have anything too personal in them.  So they can stay - but otherwise the ranks are a little depleted.  If Kippers decide to pore over my blog, they will be puzzled by the Latin quotes, the literary and historical posts and all the relgious stuff.  I expect them to be enraged or derisive about the anti-UKIP stuff.

I am not sure if my candidacy will make me want to blog more, or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment