Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Sunday 26 June 2011

Literature? Illiterature?

Hmm.  This is another snotty entry about other people's blogs.   Recently the random blog selection thing has been linking me to blogs about books.  I should be thrilled, but I am mystified by the book lists.  They are of course American - and therefore inevitably contain details of many writers I have never heard of.   Curiously these are balanced with extremely high-minded, impenetrable blogs which are written in a quasi-structuralist lingo which is largely impenetrable and is probably, at bottom, not saying very much of interest.   I know that sound arrogant, but over the years when I have managed to penetrate the meanings of structuralist writing I have found that it is usually stating the bleeding obvious anyway.  So the language isn't there to illuminate, or elucidate, but merely to conceal - first from the profani, and secondly to hide the author's unoriginal ruminations.  And that's a shame really, because it means, like management speak, it is a weapon in a not very interesting struggle between colleagues - who uses the hottest technical jargon = who gets to crow on top of the dungheap.

But I digress - the blog I looked at was called Lost in Literature - the lady concerned had read about 4 books this year (so lost in each one she couldn't get out?) and it made me wonder what the definition of literature was - really, it is just reading material I suppose, as in "Would you like some literature on our automatic potato peeler?"   In that context I suppose glamour novels, and chick lit with a bit of a supernatural spin rates quite highly as literature. 

So where did the idea come from the "Literature" was proper writing - and how can these two ideas be accommodated?  A literary novel isn't remotely related to washing machine instructions after all.  Perhaps readibility is the criterion... and many washing machine instructions used not to be readable - having apparently been translated from German to Japanese to Serbo - Croat to English, with much damage to clarity in the process. And Finegans Wake is apparently unreadable (mind you some idiots believe Ulysses to be unreadable - which makes one wonder if they really know how to read (don't ask me - I love the book, but I'm no expert on how to read)).

So literature doesn't in practice have to be readable... so maybe we should change it's name - to?  Er, scripture?  Because the common feature is that the stuff is written down, and readability is not claimed for it. 

What else is unreadable?  This is a subjective matter - I may find things unreadable which other people enjoy tremendously, I cannot really understand writing on linguistics or electronics. I didn't find A Brief History of Time unreadable exactly, but one needs to hold on tight and keep reading (and I didn't, so I didn't finish it).  I ought to compile a list of illiterature!

No comments:

Post a Comment