Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Tuesday 28 June 2011

Logorhoea

Well, no not really, I think I am writing out of boredom, or frustration or both.   I have been having an interesting email correspondence on the subject of love (inter alia) and it is frustrating because it is difficult to write about these things - obviously I can and do, but I like reponse, nuance, discussion - and discussion is difficult in emails.  I had a similar frustration emailing J (when we used to email each other she said with an Eyore like gloominess) because I wanted to discuss - not simply have a transfer of opinions.  And you need to see people for that.

It was lovely seeing Eyvor today - proper conversation and finding lots of similarities.   She's actually read Finegans Wake - Respect!  Perhaps a retirement project for me (assuming I have all my brain cells left).

Cheering to note that optimistic people tend to live longer (no surprise really, but that helps) - this is one of those health facts that I am hoarding to encourage myself to live a long healthy mentally alert life.  Like the one about heavy calves being an indication of broad blood vessels and less likelihood of stroke.... my mother's obesession with her delicate lower legs!  And her pessimism - well, there are two aspects I don't take after her in. My father, for all his faults, is a cheery soul really and a great "encourager of the brethren".  He was feeling all guilty about buying people books and tapes and urging them to listen.  I just assumed it was a desire to share, but someone has suggested it might be an attention seeking device.  I expect he does want to talk to people about the books etc. but I just saw it as a very commendable form of evangelising... kind, generous, so he cheered up a bit when I told him that.   The great thing about my mother dying (?!!??) is the chance it has given me to appreciate Pa more and he has finally begun to respect my differences (I think) so things are less quarrelsome between us now.

No comments:

Post a Comment