Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Wednesday 21 September 2011

Mindless Witterings (Gardening)

This is what my friend Jane proferred as her reason for not reading other people's blogs.   I suppose that's good - except of course I immediately took it personally, then I considered, and thought that just as people like reading my Christmas letter - because it is not a mindless, humourless branding exercise like some people's, possibly some people would like my blog for similar reasons.  Also, it's relatively cliche free and lacking in high fluffy animal quotient. (For some people of course these may be the factors that make it unreadable).  It is, of course, unforgivably solipsistic - but as Simon Darragh would say "read it if you like, no one's twisting your arm" - but then his blog is interesting - and full of limericks - so there's always something good there.

On the subject of limericks - do you know this one?

As Titian was mixing rose madder
His model reclined on a ladder
Her position to Titian
Suggested coition
So he leapt up the ladder and had her.

So what am I wittering about today?  Can't remember what my last witterings were about.   Have just about recovered from lack of urgent tasks - and have dealt with most of my outstanding issues.  However, am about to start a marketing drive for Christmas - so will be busy again, unfortunately.   No sign of money on the horizon - although I will get a repayment for my spending at Booker for Ramsgate Arts, nearly £200 - and some money for doing the PR for the festival.  This is much needed, as Mark is having a bit of a gap between clients... oh cripes.  I have faith that it will be all right, somehow.

The Firefly Fiesta went very well - lovely fireworks - and quite good music.  We could have done with some feel-good ska-y stuff... but maybe next year.  I note that my writing fell off quite considerably last week.   I haven't done my 3,000 words yet - but I might manage to get there by the end of the day.   I am not doing it now because I am expecting an interruption. 

I have advertised gardening as one of my topics.  It is justified?  Well, my garden has become "established" so there hasn't been a lot to write about.  However over the weekend I decided to take control of the back bed and root up most of the vinca alba and so on and to re plant the bed - since some short plants are too far back and the whole thing is dominated by valerian (centanthrus ruber) and sweet rocket (matricaria hesperis?) which are lovely but...  As I was sitting contemplating it, I thought about the clematis, it's a pinky-mauve montana - the kind I would never have bought myself - and I have carefully tended it and it has grown enormous.  It was cut back about 4 years ago when we painted the cast iron fence on top of the wall, and it seems to have doubled in size since then.  It suddennly occurred to me that I really disliked the way it clashed with the spring flowers in the bed, and with the pink paint the idiot Sarsfields had put on the brick wall - so why did I keep it?

What a liberation! I began to remove it, despite some qualms about removing an area that encouraged biodiversity - in this case snails!.  I haven't managed to remove it all - much of it is now in the neighbours' garden, and I know they don't like to feel their privacy is breached.  Then we went to East Northdown Farm Nursery - I bought a rose - Mme Gregoire Staechlin - and a red honey suckle called Red Gables.  I already have a Compassion rose there - which I think was damaged by the clematis.  I think 2 roses, a honey suckle and possibly a less rampant clematis (or maybe a tangutica - because it's autumn flowering and the yellow would look good against the green garden shed).  So I think it will look fantastic.  Of course there are even more fantastic plants I could have bought on line, but I like going to East Northdown - although I wonder how well it is doing.  They have so many moribund looking plnats.  I got some nicotia sylvestris for free because they looked so manky.   We also go a free vine a couple of years ago (which did grow, but was so tiny that it was attacked by slugs and destroyed.  The other one grows over Olly's grave... it's not doing too badly.   I need to go and cut back some more shrubbery - the bay tree is getting enormous - and that rose that's stuck next to it isn't great either.   Anyway, that's enough mindless wittering for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment