Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Sunday 11 September 2011

The Neighbourhood...

Just been through a dozen or so Italian blogs - quite a variety - I rather liked one which was a sort of progressive anarchist one, and another which was devoted to Poggio Imperiale in Puglia - not much to say about it, but they had various gadgets that gave the news headlines from Corriere della Sera and the Saint of the Day from the Italian Catholic Church - is that different from the Universal/Catholic church?

Lots of poetry - and a blog which didn't carry an "adult material" warning - dedicated to "Men with more balls than cock"???!!  I find literary italian very difficult to read - full of very high-falutin' stuff - lots of abstract nouns and really a tiny weeny bit pretentious sometimes.    Still it made a change.   But why do I never find UK blogs when I leaf through? - this time I got another selection of US "literary" blogs.   There is a mass of published material available in the US which never makes it over here.   One woman had a list of books she liked - the only author I'd heard of was Agatha Christie.   Another reviews all the books she reads - the blog is a series of reviews - quite a good idea, and I was delighted to see a review of Cavalier and Klay - don't feel she finished it somehow - it had a polite, positive review (Pulitzer prize winners can't be dissed after all), on the next page was a review twice as long about a woman's relationship with a golden retriever.    This is a not very subtle way of saying US book blogs that I've seen have all been rather low brow - apart from the couple that are not.

I cannot find out how to remove blogs I'm following, which is a bore, since I'm not really following them anyway, just looking at them once a month - since I'd rather write blogs than read blogs.  Must try and find American Idle again, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment