Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Friday 7 September 2012

Better/worse than expected

What a tricksy day today was, all the minutiae fouled up, and things went wrong.    I got up - had breakfast, made a cake, had a bath, washed my hair, suddenly it was time for the book group, which was fine.  Then Come Dine With me called, and researched me - by this time I was late for Broadstairs meeting... I was 30 mins late - every possible obstacle on the way there - including cars loading on opposite sides of Vale Square, so that when I went around the other way to avoid the first one I met another one.  Mad.  I arrived, parked and found that the Chapel hadn't been open at 12.30 - went to Peens - my suggestion for a reserve meeting place - no one.  So I thought I'd (a) go home (b) go to the tapas bar across the road and have a really nice lunch to compensate for the aggro.  I was sitting in the tapas bar, drinking a nice glass of rose... when I saw D.  They hadn't managed to find the Chapel - (thus failing the basic intelligence test) - and had repaired to the terrace of the Albion Hotel. I couldn't get in touch, because I'd left my phone at home. I turned my wine into a take away - and cancelled my squid and roast veg.  Sigh!   I then trudged to the Albion (Middle England)... had my plastic cup of wine, participated in a few slightly lacklustre conversations, chiefly about holidays.  As I said to D later "the dynamic was different".  But I did learn something - that if you put a piece of silver in with mussels if there's ptomaine poisoning it will turn black (unfortunately it doesn't tell you which is the bad mussel).

Ever fallen in love with someone, ever fallen in love with someone, someone you shouldn't have fallen in love with - The Buzzcocks 1977 - on telly as I'm writing this, one of my favourite songs.

So to home... and then an hour or so before the next fuck-up.  I was meant to be having a drink in A's garden, then C messaged me about a private view tonight - then he called me to say he was invited - suggested we go - he suggested we met up there - or we drove him, then he rang - I said M wasn't back yet - then he was incommunicado.  We took Finn to train so he could go and see his girlfriend (shock!) and went to the private view - C ducked out - feeling under the weather.  It was good, but didn't take long to enjoy.  So we went to have a drink - found the Lighthouse Bar closed - so we had a sort of pop-up pizxa on the Harbour Arm and saw a spectacular sunset... lovely fig and parma ham pizza and then finally got in touch with A.  We picked him up from the Market Square and came here for a nice drink in the garden.  So it all came right...

Everyone thinks I'm mad about the Come Dine With Me thing - but if I win it's worth it. Anyway, Tara suggested the Time Short Story Comp. as a better way of earning money - but as I seldom write short stories so it's not likely, although it occurred to me maybe I could adapt a bit of Islanders - lots of good ideas... perhaps focus the story on Ned and his mother.  Still, the likelihood of winning is slight... but if I could think of a good story arc, not impossible.  Just at the moment I need to stop saying "No" and just going for stuff.  Nothing much to lose.

Fuck ups be blowed, the best thing I ought to say is that it is a long time since I've seriously considered the LO - which means I may be shortly demoted to MO - Mad Obsession - hurray (I think).


No comments:

Post a Comment