Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Wednesday 1 May 2013

Along the electric wires the message came...

.... she is not much better, she is much the same.  

These are apparently lines written by a Bengali poet about the circumstances surrounding the death of Queen Victoria, but they sum me up today.  Well, not dead yet here at any rate - but have had a day of such vacuousness that I might as well be.  I hope they have Spider Solitaire in heaven, or I won't know what to do with myself during eternity. (Yes - I know, eternity doesn't mean the same as everlasting... but let's not have a row about that).

Yesterday I had a jolly chatty day with Anna T and Marion - and had my hair done by the v. agreeable Tim. I got up today - and after breakfast slumped into a sort of anomie for most of the day - apart from a constructive hour reading in the sunshine.   I took Finn to his cornet lesson, I chatted to various parties on Facebook.  I supervised Finn cooking supper - and washed up.  Then I just indulged in a bit of mild self-hatred - now I am going to watch tv, since compared with the majority of the day, it will feel constructive.

Tommorrow is another jolly social day - but I am too worried about impending doom to care.  I tried to think of something constructive to do about money - but all that was in my power was to buy a lottery ticket.  It will be all right the inner voice says - I do hope it's the Holy Spirit and not some magnificent delusion.

Mark is thinking of applying for a prestigious heritage related scholarship - he would have to go to California for at least 3 months... I am encouraging the application.  If he got it, Ned would be at university and I would just have Finn to quarrel with about A-levels and work etc.  An interesting prospect.

No comments:

Post a Comment