Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Friday 6 June 2014

Life imitating Art

Well - an interesting evening, discussing things I am sworn to secrecy about.   One of these matters is acutely personal, the other is criminal.   How very frustrating.

What was amusing is that the criminal issues touch on some ideas I am using in the novel I am writing at the moment.  It often happens that life imitates "Art" - if my unpublished novels can be so-designated. It makes me wonder whether, if the book is published, I will need to hire protection.  Suffice it to say I discovered that there is some sort of protection racket going on in the bars along the harbour - and that it is probably connected with the large, extensive family who are connected with the drug/prostitution/people trafficking rumours I have been hearing for the last 4-5 years.

When I outlined the plot of the novel to my interlocutor he said "Have you been doing a lot of research?"
I said  "No, just listening to what people say."   He seemed amazed, although he is one of my chief sources.  He did correct me on the brothel location... he should know!!  He said perhaps I should do some research.  I said, "that might not be a good idea - better if I keep things vague... anyway, it's a feel-good redemption novel - not a true crime story."   He then told me that the Mr Big locally had disappeared, presumed dead.  I suggested he might just have returned to the island of his origin.... but death seems more likely.  I wish I could write about it, it involves someone taking photos of a group in a bar being beaten up by the manager and two bouncers... then being arrested by the police... all very sinister.  Suggestions of police collusion etc. etc.... licensing issues (this is an aide memoire to myself!).

I have checked out the security business - it's interesting - what links the Krays, a Tory Cabinet Minister and a charity for Thai orphans?  Perhaps it's in the category of being "rough but legitimate" since a lot of this stuff can readily be seen on Facebook - a whole world of sub-culture...  I would like to include an illustrative photo - but anything I've found would be way too incriminating.

No comments:

Post a Comment