Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Tuesday 17 September 2013

Almodovar - Los Amantes Pasajeros

Just went to see this at the local cinema club - don't know how long it's been out, but it was great fun.  I am not sure there's much else to say about it.  Obviously if you were horrified by homosexuality you wouldn't find it fun... just horribly vulgar, but my only question about it is:  Is it acceptable to continue to portray the cabin staff of an aircraft as hysterical queeny stereotypes... I mean, this was the kind of thing one heard about in say the early 80's - but now?  Or is it OK in Spain?  Or is it because Almodovar is gay that he can say what he likes (well, we all can of course - but most of us would be torn apart by the wild dogs of PC rectitude if we did).   Or is it - Heaven forefend - that gay cabin crew really do behave like this and the whole thing has been made with documentary veracity.

Given Almodovar's "form" the characters are unsurprising - and the revelations about Spanish business, sexual attitudes etc. are nice and satirical...I did laugh quite a lot, but I could see a lot of the jokes coming.   I was interested that the loudest (most shocked) laughter came during the more explicit jokes - it is that kind of laughter that comes when people don't quite believe that they've heard/seen something so explicit.   One used to hear it at Julian Clary gigs in the 80s.  I found myself laughing less at these bits - not because I am a prude, but because these tended to be the less subtle/amusing jokes.  But I enjoyed it, and enjoyed the discovery that the little bit of Spanish I learned by going to Madrid 3.5 years ago was still helpful.

We wanted to get Finn to come and see the film with us; given his horror at homosexuality it's just as well he didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment