Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Friday 13 May 2011

Books

I seldom write about books - and just now a random trip through the neighbourhood took me into some book places - 2 interesting - 4 or 5 just plain scarey.  Fan sites for certain genres that I'm unfamiliar with.   The fact is, I would probably enjoy these books if I read them - providing they were well-written ( a bit "if" I suspect) - but a bit alien, and of course, they were American blogs - so the descriptions of books, even if they were only graded 2/5 were upbeat and positive...

So, what am I reading (Mrs Superior - who is working her way through Harold Bloom's canon - oh, how original - actually I'm not, but just using it as a bit of an aide memoire about books I want to read)?   At present I'm re-reading "Testament of Youth" by Vera Britain -about the First World War - it's for research. 
Actually, I slightly wonder whether I have read it before, I think I just saw it on TV!   What surprises me is that it is of course a story of first love - and her descriptions of her emotions are alarming similar to things in The Formative Year.   Now I am going up to bed to nurse by sore finger.  It's early - but it's Friday - coffee and chocolate!

No comments:

Post a Comment