Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Tuesday 17 May 2011

Schleppin' and a'schmoozin'

Yes, today I lived up to my blogname.  Sam and I went to Margate - we found that the Lifeboat doesn't actually open at 12.00 although it says it does.   We mooched about a bit, fatally went to the bookshop and I bought a book.  The marvellous thing about it is because it's a charity shop the books are really sensibly priced.   I could have bought more, but I thought guiltily about the tottering towers of books beside my bed, inside the bedside cupboard and along the mantelpiece and, last but not least, on the unread bookshelf.  

Then we attempted to schmooze the owner of the Lifeboat who of course used to be head of Retail Marketing at BP.   But we got some work from him, because halfway through the conversation it occurred that we didn't have to stick to marketing - we could take on any projects that small businesses didn't have time for.  So we said this vaguely, and he said he was looking for a property because he wanted to expand and if we could find him one.... so we have a job!

We then had lunch - nice little guinea fowl pie - but their food is regrettably veg-free so not very suitable for me.  I also drank some medium cider and it was still disgusting.  I fear I only like sweet cider, that is so babyish, and what I really like is Norman/Breton cider - which is delicious not English cider which seems to aspire to the condition of vinegar without being honest enough to say so.

Then we did advanced schlepping - i.e. wandered around Margate, calling at various favoured locations : Qing to see Anne-Marie and coo over the furniture (Sam), then to 7th Magpie to find Roxanne, the market organiser, then back to the British Heart Foundation shop to see if they had any Eames furniture - they didn't, but they did have a mahogany octagonal sewing table - which they were not selling in the shop, but putting on E-bay. A rare item.   I bought a very nice Utility style trolley for £20 - this I left there for subsequent collection.   It is Mark's wedding anniversary present - for him to do his Airfix kits on.

I know I shouldn't feel vaguely humiliated by a husband who does Airfix kits but....

Then back to the Old Town - a vital cup of tea while we dawdled and waited for Janet - we chatted with her, suggested we might carry out various tasks for her... and she seemed interested.   She's expanding the Pie Factory so there may be opportunities.  Then drifted to Droit House, up the hill to the car, and home.

I don't know if it was the dawdling around (quite a bit of walking today by my standards - Sam would laugh if she read that) but I was catatonic when I came home and had to go for a lie-down.

Now I have a few tasks for the rest of the week: sort out the new bank accounts, deal with the tax office, arrange everything necessary for the market stall - yes, I am going to do it, even though I have a certain reluctance.    Shall I do croissants?   I will have to spend a fortune on Butter - must go to Aldi tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment