Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Friday 27 January 2012

A cure for woe!

Get a really nasty head cold - then you can sit there quietly listening to the economic news and not feel a thing... because your head cold has filtered all the horror out of the situation.   Of course you have a head ache, and in this case, bouts of sneezing and a sore throat, but that is minimal in comparison.

I feel this is a bit too soon after the last viral ailment - but that was more or less over by December, so I guess I've had two months without virus. 

Festival Club last night - a film about Ramsgate in the 60's... quite good fun - Ramsgate Arts has suddenly got back on the agenda, but it feels more manageable now.  I have stopped feeling anxiety about things going on here - don't feel I have to meet everyone and network - I can relax... I hear about a group of 40 professionals etc. who meet to network and don't feel - "how can I get to know them?"

I have no aspiration to "get to know" anyone in particular around here - that sounds snobbish, but I like who I like - and I have a clear pattern of liking leftish people who read and are amusing... but also liking sincere, earnest people who are "trying hard" - and vaguely decent people... people who understand the need for kindness... I have faith that friends will develop - as they have - over the years, and that it will be all right.  One has affinities... I have also found that some of the apparently "desirable" people to know are stronger on style than content... and, from the point of view of what I'm interested in, dull!

My own problem is that I fear I am getting a bit dull and shallow myself  - not reading enough good books, making enough connections.  I feel very intellectually lazy - concentration not what it was.  However, a head cold is hardly the best time to start reading hard books - all the sense would be filtered out through the mucus I expect (oh, yuck!).   Back to bed for a bit - to away my lunch tray (ha - a grudgingly made sandwich I expect, with a drink if I'm lucky!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment