Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Sunday 22 January 2012

In the Middle of the Night....

It's been ages since I woke up at 3.00am but now I have; I got up to distract myself - play Mahjong Titans... listen to the World Service.  Usually it's very stimulating and interesting - but tonight there's a programme about Sri Lankan music - and the most appalling dirges - actual mourning songs - really wretched, being sung by bereaved women.  I was dying for it to stop. 

I had been lying awake worrying about getting the furniture into the new bedroom - now I am feeling guilty because that seems so trivial compared with the losses these women have suffered.  Perhaps the misery was hearing such heartfelt music.  It isn't the kind of thing that's going to lull me back to sleep.

I must blame drink I think - we went to a Quiz last night - good fun, and we were invited out to dinner on 14th Feb - a Valentine's dinner... sometimes, when you find the right sort of middle-aged people, you can have fun...although I did drink too fast.   Still, it was the first time we'd been out for fun since Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment