Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Thursday 1 March 2012

Happy Birthday Pugin

I went to Pugin's 200th birthday party tonight.  It was fun - and quite interesting.  The food was a bit odd - and everyone thought I'd been involved with it.   I think that Suzy has taken my novel writing v. seriously and never asks me to do anything like that any more.  I don't think it matters: I just want to be a consumer these days - not a producer, apart from the writing of course.

It was quite fun because although I ostensibly went with Alex and Anna we talked to a number of different people.  The main aggro was that it was matter of sitting around tables and when we arrived (late) there was no obvious room - but we managed to find a spot between Tricia and Jamie who I met at the Festival Club last week - and Thomas Brown, one of the local journos, and his friend Sam who is another journalistic trainee.

All in all, quite a jolly evening - although I don't think I learned much.  Clive's performance as MC was great - but I think "Seatof thePants Theatre" might be a good name for the group.  He is trying to perform a play about Pugin - but this wasn't an evening for the preview - only a sketch... It's interesting that Robert P decided not to do anything about Pugin - he felt his life, while full of drama, somehow didn't seem theatrical in the "right way".  On the whole I trust Robert's judgement - but that's because we have a lot in common.  I also heard the Indigo Quartet for the first time (Jonathan F's mob)... lots of religious music.  I found the Gregorian chant Dies Irae  very touching - but I could see some of the audience getting restive.  There was also a lovely setting of the Psalm about Jonathan - with the refrain How are the mighty fallen - appropriate for Richard Dawkins' funeral perhaps...

But Pugin, for goodness sake - I can't decide about Pugin - I think part of me is a bit contrarian about it all - I like St. A's abbey, which he designed, but I don't think it's proper medieval Gothic at all - he seems to have had no real historical sense.  He claimed Gothic was a true English architecture - although in fact it was French/Continental.  And to be honest, give me Sant Ivo alla Sapienze by Borromini against any building by Pugin.  I've always liked real medieval architecture - and learned to distrust and dislike the lumpy Victorian substitutes.  Pugin hated Wyatt's "restorations" - but looked at from the 20thC they don't seem much worse than his designs.   Yes, he was a fascinating person - but a lot of his work seems lumpen compared with real Gothic.   Great at doing tiles though - I like his tile designs quite a lot.

All architectural styles pre-19thC seem to have derived from the Continent.  I guess Pugin was very influential - all those Victorian terraces owe something to him... their details, the terracotta tiles, the elaborate fretwork on the barge boards - cruciform bas-relief patterns on window mouldings etc.  But is the Victorian terrace really that different from the Regency terrace - apart from the matter of mouldings and details?  Discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment