Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Saturday 10 March 2012

Opera!

We went to the opera tonight - in Broadstairs.  It was a small touring updated production of La Traviata, directed by Kit Hesketh-Hardy - I dreaded that it might be naff - it seemed rather short - and very gripping...I haven't felt as engaged by an opera for a long time.  Best of all, we got free tickets thanks to the fact that I am going to review it on the Stage Corner blog... and perhaps do one for ThanetWatch...

It is a very long time since I went to the opera on a regular basis: this is not a good area for opera - I have seen one since I moved here, I Capuleti e I Monticchi at the Theatre Royal Margate... Inevitably, we will be seeing smaller "chamber operas" but on the basis of this evening's experience - this is a good thing.  There is an intimacy and engagement, that one doesn't get in the upper slips at Covent Garden or the Upper Circle at ENO... I can vaguely remember what they are like.... so long since we went, but in 2003 we saw The Trojans  at ENO... I would love to see some Mozart again - perhaps next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment