Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Thursday 23 August 2012

The National Minimum Wage

The minimum wage for adults is £6.08 per hour - not much, but better than nothing... I have just been offered £5 per hour.  I politely declined, pointing out it was less than the minimum wage, and saying that the smallest amount I would take would be £10 an hour, since I was highly skilled and not just being asked to do bar work, but to take on administration and so on.  I also pointed out that my pay for cooking and gardening is better than that.

I am awaiting further developments.  I don't want a 5 day a week job and actually he was suggesting 7 - and I also pointed out I wouldn't be working full days.  He says he's talking to someone else, in which case, if this guy will take £5 an hour he must be even more desperate than me.  I can't understand how employers get away with paying less than the minimum wage - under 21 it's £4.98 - so Ned 's within the law, but seriously... I know this is a poor area, but this man - who has a cleaner and a gardener and a working wife is offering me £5 an hour.  How bloody little self-respect does he think I have?

He says that he will consider the situation, maybe change his plans.  I got the impression that he's keen to employ me, but it's a bit mad. I'd love to earn £600 a month, but if it doesn't happen it doesn't happen.  I've just had the tax credit statement for this year, and it looks as if we'll be getting more than last year (hope this isn't a mistake) so at least I don't need to worry about making this up.   If he comes back to me and wants me to do 3-4 mornings a week, with a certain amount of flexibility, that would be fine.  We'll see.

I do feel quite angry though, not just for me, but the fact that he thinks he can offer that sort of money to anyone.  Thanet isn't a 3rd World Country - I know it wasn't a full time job, but £75 for 5 mornings a week?  It wouldn't be a full time job with a living wage.  No wonder people stay on the dole.


No comments:

Post a Comment