Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Monday 31 December 2012

Christmas 7 Being between the generations

This morning Finn got immensely upset when M took a photo of us removing the extra table from the dining room... a bit later I tackled him about it, and it's about not having a girlfriend.  I pointed out that getting worried about how one looked wasn't the answer.  That I was totally gorgeous at his age but still hadn't had a boyfriend (well - I was roughly the age he is now when the great thing happened!)  I told him that girls were terribly lacking in confidence about their appearance and hung around in gangs to reassure each other about their hair and make-up and so on, and that fact that I wasn't like that when I was 15 was because I was too beautiful to care (no!) and a feminist who didn't believe in that stuff - I had nice long curly hair and didn't wear make up.    I told him research had discovered that kind children were more popular than unkind children and he said one of his NY Resolutions was to be "less hateful".  I told him the answer with girls was to take notice of them - admire their new hairstyle or something they are wearing and say nice, kind supportive things to them.  This will give him a positive reputation amongst the girls, and eventually one of them will want to go out with him - if they don't already.

He's going to spend the evening on the beach... but I hope he isn't expecting New Year's magic.  It's nice to think he's a little romantic at heart, but I hopeo he doesn't get too heartbroken.

Shortly after this, the focus of discussion shifted to Edward - a nice note from Stella revealed he was coughing up bloody phlegm... doesn't sound good.  She praised M for sensibly suggesting he did not start further hospital treatment.  But is he dying?  He's not eating again - when this happens (it has happened once or twice before) I always think of the Jews going "Musselmann" in the camps - starving themselves to death deliberately.  The only thing he ate over Christmas was a piece of my Christmas cake - a mild pride for me...  So we tip between the ageing and the burgeoining life of the children - it gives one such a sense of life and its continuity, and thinking about these things seems appropriate for a religious festival.

Today is New Year's Eve - which we will be celebrating at Adrian St Clare-B's... someone we know slightly, but are hoping to get to know better.  Cannot believe this is the first NYE party we have ever been invited to in Ramsgate - we had one a couple of years ago - but it didn't catch on!  I wish I felt a bit better - head cold, spot of neuralgia.  Seeing Clive & Naomi tomorrow for tea too - which will be nice.  Get him on board about 1 Chatham Place too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment