Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Friday 21 December 2012

Dream - with added "Jungian" interpretation

I dreamed about the LO last night - I haven't dreamed about him for a while.  There were many people at an outside event - we had struggled to get to it.  We were staying near the LO's old home in London - he was living there with his father, but we had been unable to see him.  Eventually we met his father who gave us permission to go to their house but when we (my animus and me?) got into the house and found it empty.   The LO was in a sort of military group - who were guarding the event.   I was having dinner with some older women but feeling restless - I got up in the middle of the meal and went out.  I went and sat on the grass - LO's sister was there - she was lamenting the fact that he had broken up with his wife - I asked her why - it was over his refusal to listen to a new CD she had bought which he hadn't had time to listen to.  His sister was sure they'd get back together.  LO's band of people went to sit on a roof to watch the event, I couldn't see him.  He had made no attempt to see or make contact with me.  His son told me he was very depressed and barely spoke to anyone.  He added a few choice things about the LO's wife - but both he and his aunt thought they would get back together.  

I heard that the military duties would end soon and that he would come and speak to me - so I went back to my old ladies who were just finishing dessert.  I chose a place to sit where I would either be next to him or opposite him, depending on where he chose to sit.

I am taking the view that the LO in the dream isn't him, but an Animus figure - I wanted to see him (get in touch with that side of myself) his father - who is actually dead - is some sort of psychopomp figure... leading me to getting in touch with him.  The house is their house, not my house - and it's empty - it has been modernised since I knew it, but we only really see the kitchen... which is much improved.  The great grassy expanses of back gardens around the nearby houses are odd... not sure what they are.  My animus is in a military group  - under orders, or military discipline - he can't or won't communicate with me.  He is broken hearted and depressed over a matter of taste (the CD) - LO's sister is an enthusiastic nice warm woman - so she would obviously say he and his wife would get back together - his son is more intelligent and critical - so his view point is more nuanced...  I go back to the dinner table (my Christmas duties) and await his appearance, knowing that when he comes he will be near me, although I am still unsure that we will be "fully integrated".

If you analyse it this way it makes a lot of sense,.  I (the Animus - the male side of myself) am under military discipline - getting Christmas ready, so I cannot be in touch with the other side of myself because that would result in a more authentic response to life - i.e. doing what I want, which is to get on with the novels.  The old ladies are like my book group having their Christmas feast... which is where my Christmas labours started - although in the dream it's summertime - suggesting that is the season I want to be in - one of growth, fruition, harvest (the grass needs to be cut for hay), rather than living through the restrictions of winter.

I am rather glad of Jungian analysis here  - if I did not know of it, I would have assumed that it was just an anxiety dream about the LO not being interested in me, even if he'd split with his wife.

As for the general marriage situation, I had a good chat with A about it - her insights are often very useful - and now that her marriage is crumbling, she sees the attractions of one's nice home and family very strongly.  I admit, I do not really wish to go and live in a bed-sit on income support... I shall continue to live in Samuelgard, attending the warriors like a good little Valkyrie, until the warriors depart for adult life and I can re-assess the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment