Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Tuesday 12 November 2013

Human pinball

You know how pinball machines are - the ball careers around, slamming against different objects and rebounding, all the time drifting gradually downwards, then a frail flipper catches it and repells it - sending it back up again - and then around, on a different trajectory - drifting down again - and it continues until eventually the flipper fails and the ball disappears into the darkness.

That's me that is!   The downward trajectory has been marked in the last few weeks, with the complete absence of any job prospects at all for Mark - apart from the distant prospect of Jam in the form of the HLF bid - which we may or may not be included in, may or may not win etc.   However, a frail flipper protruded and gave me a tiny shove upwards, and, I thought the prospect of an exiguous - but welcome - regular income.  However, this flipper has now failed, apparently I was only be trained to do holiday cover.  This it must be said was never made clear to me, until yesterday, when I asked when I might next be required to work.  So I am careering off again, striking different objects, and wondering why a period of my life that astrologically speaking was said to be full of new opportunities, seems to be one actually of cul-de-sacs...

Others have worse situations!

Actually, this has been a bit of a disastrous period for a number of people I know - two of Finn's friends have lost their fathers young in the last few months, and one of them's mother has been killed by her father, last week.  There's the Philippines hurricane of course, and two people have had diagnoses of dreadful diseases - and only this morning my elderly cousin M has spent an evening in A&E - not good, and Anna's mother is very very ill. These things do occur in clusters - and I should be grateful that I'm not too close to all this.  

Another gentle flip up...

Since I wrote the above I've had a flip up - and found that instead of earning £24, I've earned £80 and Mark has earned £40 for something he did on a volunteer basis a couple of weeks ago.  This is a very nice surprise - so I am flipping upwards again - and will start crashing about again shortly.



No comments:

Post a Comment