Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Wednesday 6 November 2013

The cold begins

Today was the first day I have felt cold all day, at least until I went into the kitchen at lunchtime.  I feel proud that I didn't turn on the fan heater - but the tip of my nose is cold, and my fingers.  Perhaps I should have done more typing.

We turned the heating on, morning and evening only, at the end of October when we had a BnB guest.  She left, but we kept the heating on.  Finn has stopped complaining about it - he has finally got it that we don't have it on all the time.  I have put it on during the day for visitors, but mostly we are managing by closing doors, more layers etc.  This won't last of course, it will get so cold that we won't be able to manage.  And I guess over the Christmas hols we will have it on a bit more.

I discovered that EDF the energy company offers poor customers a discount of £150 - this is great, unfortunately, our monthly bill is £230 - so £12.50 a month won't  make very much difference to us.   But I am aware that we can still do more to keep warm - I could, for example, wear boots rather than shoes, and get the thermal leggings on -  but I am keeping them for a really serious cold snap.

There really is nothing more we can do at present - but soon we will go out around the skips to find wood for the fires.  And perhaps, weather permitting, to the woods to get kindling.

No comments:

Post a Comment