Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Monday 7 January 2013

Andrew Mitchell - no plebs were hurt!

I had a chat about the former Chief Whip with my brother in law.  He says with blazing integrity that AM did not say "pleb" - and that my ideas of him are based on what I knew of him 25 years ago, and that people change in 25 years.

I recognise the truth of this - I also see that the wind is blowing in AM's favour now that peculiar and deceitful police behaviour has been detected.  I am open to believe he did not say "pleb" on this occasion, although I wouldn't have been surprised to hear him use the word 25 years ago.  I am also surprised that he admits "swearing at" the policeman.  Why is this acceptable exactly?  And how is it more acceptable to be rude than to be class-conscious?  

2 comments:


  1. Andrew Mitchell could have been victim of 'gigantic conspiracy'

    Sir Jeremy Heywood makes suggestion while explaining to MPs his assessment of 'plebgate' row involving ex-chief whip.

    What a very odd 'red herring' phrase "gigantic conspiracy". The inadequate and inflammatory suggestion made by Sir JH suggests an in-house "conspiracy". I don't believe that the apparent drying out of AM is accidental by the party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - hardly gigantic - a couple of policemen perhaps don't like him - and misuse their power - their "union" backs them up, as the police Fed likes to defend its members on the whole, and goes too far - that would be a fairly simple explanation.

    It would be interesting to know why you feel AM has been dumped on by the party?

    I can create a scenario for a novel from this: in the best chief Whip tradition, he really did know where the bodies were buried, and was about to dig them up. Now we could link the "disgraced former Chief Whip" to the other popular topic - that he was about to spill the beans on the full extent of Tory child abuse, we could have the most sensational conspiracy... he was lucky to get out of it all alive! Wonder if he's looking for a ghost writer...

    ReplyDelete