Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Wednesday 13 March 2013

Oooh - nice Pope!

When I heard annuncio vobis gaudium magnum I felt very emotional, I didn't recognise who the Eminent Cardinal Giorgium was - but I was thrilled to hear he was going to be called Francis - which I knew was a new name, and presumed meant Francis of Assisi (a man devoted to poverty, who didn't deeply repect popes...).  I really thought it might mean a change of direction.  After a little while I realised it couldn't and wouldn't mean a change of direction but it could mean a continued emphasis on good social teaching, and he might be someone who could get hold of the corruption in the Curia - perhaps some of those cardinals mentioned in the Relatio (the dossier compiled about the curia's more nefarious activities) will be finding themselves taking early retirement - or being moved into supervisory roles in some difficult spots.

I am thrilled to hear that David Cameron has tweeted about this already.


Anyway, he's a Jesuit (good!), cooks his own food (good), keen on social justice, easy going style - humble - getting crowd to pray for him... he makes a nice little joke... and prays for his predecessor - and that's the good news.   Less encouragingly, he's "traditional" theologically - so I don't think we can expect any major changes - no married priests or contraception... probably.  A bit anti-gay adoption and marriage (is that a surprise?).  I'm still excited, wasn't disappointed at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment