Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Tuesday 5 March 2013

Wildlife in the bedroom

Early this morning there was a rattling in the chimney as though small stones or bits of plaster were falling down into the hearth.  I was sitting at my desk when suddenly something fluttered out of the fiireplace - it moved swiftly - I thought it must be some sort of really large moth - before I could look at it it flittered away.  Then I saw it on the picture rail above the curtains - it was a wren, but it looked odd because a piece of fluff/nesting material about half its size had stuck to its foot.  When I went to open the window it flew away - couldn't see it anywhere and worried that it might have flown out of the bedroom door and got lost in the house, however, it hadn't gone far, and when I crossed the room it flew back over my head and straight out of the window.

I wondered whether it had been "hibernating" in the chimney - as wrens do apparently.  When I was in the garden later I saw a starling hanging around the chimney pots, and wondered if their plan to nest in the chimney had driven the wren out, I hope there aren't any other wrens stuck in there.   It was good to see that the wrens are still in the vicinity, we've seen hardly any birds for months, but the last two days have been sunny and one begins to hope that they'll be back.  

No comments:

Post a Comment