Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Sunday 7 April 2013

Playlist shuffles

When I'm not concentrating hard, I play pop music, very old pop music mostly, nothing more up to date than Gorillaz and the Pet Shop Boys - the trouble is I have put a lot of totally diverse stuff on (I can skip if it's too dissonant) and when I say popular music this embraces things like Fairport Convention and Jean Sablon c. 1950... so not exactly pop.

The useful thing about the music is that it can feed the writing occasionally: just now I was drifting into a melancholy inspired by Leonard Cohen's Famous Blue Raincoat  ...and you treated my woman/ to a flake/ of your life/ and when she came back/she was nobody's wife...  when it came to an end to be rudely followed by the comic saxophones of the Bonzo's Rhinocratic Oaths.   Which reminded me I needed to cook supper at some point - like now!

No comments:

Post a Comment