Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Wednesday 3 April 2013

The penultimate straw?

I do not really have any money of my own - apart from my birthday present money which is being saved for a holiday.  I have a very primitive habit of keeping tiny stashes, less than £10 usually of coins in a pot, for emergencies.  This is because I always expect a day will come when there is no money for school dinner or an urgent bus fare or some basic food stuff due to financial mismanagement/lack of work etc.   This small stash is MINE.  Finn has "borrowed" money from it in the past, which annoyed me and forced me to move it.  This morning Mark took £5 from it.  He told me, I shrieked at him and gave him  £20 from my purse.

He cannot recognise meum et tuum: he doesn't understand our finances, he thinks it's all available all the time, whenever he needs it.  He has a bank card, he has access to his funds - he does not need to raid my tiny pot of money but he did it, without asking me. It is in my desk - something I regard as more private than my handbag.  This seems such a small thing, but it's very very upsetting.  It symbolises my lack of freedom and control over my life.  If I want freedom and control perhaps I should get a job I hear you say.  Only recently I have been turned down for two that were well below my competence - a part time typist, and a temporary clerk... so let's not imagine a job will be a quick and easy solution.

All I have to do is get a novel published, it will not make a lot of money, but it will be a way of changing people's expectations.  I am desperate to get on with it... perhaps later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment