Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Thursday 22 August 2013

Facebook despair

I think I need to block a few more people on Fb - there are so many squabbling types, and lots of unpleasantness when one goes on there.  Instead of feeling cheered and surrounded by cheery acquaintances, one becomes privy to everyone's sniping, envious nastiness.  Perhaps I am guilty of it too... don't think so, normally keep that sort of thing to myself!

Have just withdrawn from one group because of people slagging off a friend of mine, someone who does rather more good for the place than them.  Easy to criticise, but if a couple of other people put in the unpaid hours she does, then we might really see some changes here.  It is depressing, because if we don't work together and spend all our time sniping at other people - then we are actually undoing the good that is being done.  There is a grand tradition here of people not wanting to work together or collaborate - they are hyper-individualistic and want to do their "own thing" - and be in charge.  I suppose since I work on my own most of the time and don't have to collaborate, I don't mind doing collaboration/team work in my spare time... but not every creative/artists seems to share this idea.  Depressing.

I suppose the "despair" aspect is that I don't really want to see human nastiness so clearly displayed.  I dislike people being unkind, and as soon as I think that I wonder if I have been guilty of being unkind recently - about the slightly annnoying colleague... But the fact is that on the whole, the bitterness and nastiness that I'm complaining about is perhaps a reflection of people's disappointments and disillusions. It's hard to keep going, to find new meaningful projects, when one isn't succeeding - and other people around one seem to be more successful.  Perhaps what I don't like seeing on FB is a reflection of my own less agreeable self. 

No comments:

Post a Comment