Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Sunday 11 August 2013

Staycation 2013

OK - given that I am not working much - apart from on the festival - I am going to try and see the pleasant activities I have indulged in as a holiday.

Despite living by the sea, I have still not been to swim properly - and to get a real sense of "holiday" I need to get away from Thanet.    So last week I went to Deal with Finn... and we shared a sandwich and some garlic bread in the Bohemian.   On Thursday I went to Sandwich with Mark - and we ate lunch at the No Name Bistro - which consisted of a number of platters of charcuterie - which weren't bad, but not wonderful either.  I liked the fact they sold wine by the pichet and it was cheap, but it was fairly bland wine.  We then went to see the Guildhall Museum - which is truly one of the most inane museums I have ever visited (and in this area there's a good deal of choice).  It is tiny, and they have managed to make Sandwich's rather interesting history extremely dull.  In a sense a museum is a sort of 3-D book - but this was more of a postcard really.

Yesterday, a Saturday, we went, at Mark's desire to see a Roman display at Dover Castle.  There was a tremendous turnout - cars parked on the next hill in a vast field.  There was some fairly lack-lustre gladiatorial combat - in which the crowd all predictably gave the thumbs down to the vanquished gladiators... plus ca change!  Then there was about 50 minutes of seeing the Ermine St Guard (a group of Roman re-enactors) going through various Roman military drills etc.  I learned a lot and it was quite pleasant, but I am so sorry that joy and delight seem to evade me.

It occurred to me that this would be a good day to visit a pub at St Margaret's Bay called The Coastguard.  It is almost on the beach and we were able to sit outside.  I had heard the pub had very good food.  I don't remember who told me that, but it isn't true.  The usual ding-food whitebait and twice-cooked chips that tasted bland and unpotatoey... my prawns were fairly tasteless - watery and full of roe, maybe there's a connection.  So glad I only had half a pint, not the whole thing.  The greek salad was an outrage.

Today's holiday treat is to drive to Gravesend and see a house that is only open 3 times a year, so that could be fun.  But I suppose what I am questioning is "why am I now enjoying this?"  I mean I quite enjoyed yesterday, it was nice to go to St. M's even if it was a bit dull.  I wonder if I am suppressing  my feelings for some reason.  And in fact I know that I am, I have successfully suppressed thoughts of the LO, which is really excellent, because they are really unhelpful.  But now I feel as if I am on anti-depressants, a bit numb, a bit underwhelmed by things.  I know that if I suddennly had the money to fly to Rome or Madrid or somewhere new I would be stimulated and excited, so perhaps all I am talking about here is boredom.  Oh dear, who said only the boring are bored?  But I feel, much as I love Ramsgate, that I have extracted a lot of the juice from this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment