Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Sunday 13 March 2011

Gloomy Sunday

Two days of sunshine were too much to human flesh to stand, the garden leapt forward, the mirabelle blossom, then more daffs, almost a tulip and finally the camellia.

Saturday was a fairly good day, light gardening, lots of washing, then went to M for "Party on the Pier" - another damp squib I fear - too much is happening for things to get properly done, but we enjoyed seeing "Merry Margate" again - it is a funny piece, the thought of Elgar conducting the Margate Municipal Orchestra is almost surreal... and Paul Robeson and Laurel and Hardy and the Beatles performing here.   Well,  I suppose they had the Specials at the Winter Gardens a couple of years ago. 

We went for a drink at the bar on the end of the pier and it was nice and I wished we could just sit there and chat and nibble antipasti.  But their italian cabernet was rather strange, with a liquoricey taste that I didn't really appreciate.

Rob came home with me while M rode his bike home.  We drank and snacked and had supper and talked.  We came up with an idea about doing some sort of schools event about the Romans, Rob has a production, we could ask the Archaeologists to bring artefacts and give a talk, I could do toga draping - and readings from Catligula - or possibly some Latin words....

But this Sunday is a sort of minor key repeat of last Sunday - we get up late, I feel ineffectual, and become slightly weepy about things.  This Sunday M is feeling a lot better and so more consoling to me.   I can't help feeling I'm being selfish and self-obsessed.  I am also feeling a bit glum about the business, and the book(s) and family and the house and.....

So probably the best thing would be to go into the garden, try and dig up and destroy the saponaria so that I can plant some broad beans in the front garden.   That will cheer me up and I will have achieved something.   Of course it seems utterly selfish and silly in the light of what's happening in Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment