Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Sunday 21 August 2011

Lots to say, but...

The last few days have been interesting.  I went to Society of Authors evening on Friday - always good fun, this was an especially good one.  The topic was which book would you like to burn?   I opted for Nigel Lawson's climate change denial, plenty of oil left book - but overall the interesting thing was whether one should burn books or not.  Generally we felt not, but things like Protocols of the Elders of Zion were a popular choice... 

I think at one point I said something very articulate about the problems of liberalism and its consequences, which I would like to repeat here, but cannot remember what it was.  Of course this may have been an illusion.


Last night was also interesting, met a very nice Welshman at A's and heard many interesting things about TDC and its wickedness.... it is as bad as we think - if not worse... Apparently one Norwegian firm was very put off coming here to do business when TDC people demanded money from them.  Also met, for the second time, the founder of Stiff Records - cool to be able to go home and say to Ned "Do you know, the founder of Stiff Records offered me a spliff 20 minutes ago?" (I found it was skunk, so made my excuses and left!)  He's a very interesting bloke - perhaps I'll meet him sober one day!

Also saw Stephen D here for tea, talked about the "british" place names issue that Michael Bailey had raised (I don't think I've written about that).  And spent most of Saturday morning, 8 - 12.15 dahn the market - giving out programmes to people.  It was good - made the festival more central and accessible to people.  Good response on the whole.   But I am too tired to say more - even though I had 2 hours sleep this afternoon.

We also took the boys out to lunch at the HayWain - a pub I've always wanted to visit on the road to Littlebourne - it was OK - not uber delicious, but very satisfactory - could show Watchet a thing or two!

There is a lot going on in the world - but I appear to be missing out on it.  The Summer Squall takes over everything!

Good news - I have started Atkinsing again, and feel so much better for it.  Perhaps in September I'll go swimming again.

No comments:

Post a Comment