Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Sunday 14 August 2011

A tale of two parties

Yesterday went to two parties.  First a lunch party for a friend's Golden Wedding - one of my book group.  I sat and talked exclusively with one person, because that was the way things were arranged.   There was lots of wine and sarnies and vol au vents, but I wished she'd asked me to do the catering.

Then there was music - I haven't been to a party where you actually had to listen to music - usually you can talk over it, so discipline was needed.  I thought the cello playing was occasionally rather uncomfortable - and I was pleased to be able to leave before her solo.

Then I sauntered down to Vale Square for the annual fundraising party.  There were two hosts, each with their own table of food - ours was clearly the more foodie table.  It is unfortunate that I had stuffed myself with sarnies so the incredibly delicious food came too late, but I did have some very good spanakopitta and a delicious salad with roast squash in it.    I had brought trifle and so had 3 other people.  Mine had syllabub on top... a few points there I think, but was curiously bland otherwise, rather disappointing. Not enough blackberry vodka on the sponge cake I think.

There were lots of nice people at the party - and I really enjoyed it.  I drank way too much, and slept badly.  Oh dear.  Now off to Cippenham.  Curiously met a guy who had lived in the same road as me when I was young.

No comments:

Post a Comment