Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Tuesday 30 August 2011

Squall talk

The Summer Squall festival is over.   I feel that it was a raging success, but I also feel that our attendance numbers were lower than last year - this is just a gut feeling - not counted.  Partly because of Blink in Margate.

I gave my talk on Menander and got 18 in the audience... I really enjoyed doing it, and it pretty much filled the time available, and people were quite engaged, asked questions etc.  so it did the job.   Actually, I feel so pleased with myself, that I am wondering about doing it again.  Lovely woman came and said what a great voice I had - and how charismatic I was and other people laughed a lot, a couple of people went to see the play on the back of the talk - and said it added to their appreciation.   I think what really gave me the most pleasure was that I really was telling people something they didn't know, and helping them join up odd bits of knowledge - which is what one wants to do - to create a better understanding of how Western European works....(well, a tiny bit of it). 

In the afternoon we went to see "The Grumpy Old Git" which Clive had updated a bit, but it was still set in Ancient Greece.... worked very well.  Anette was marvellous - what a range of expressions she does!  The others were good too, but knowing A quite well it was more interesting to see her acting, as I've only seen her in the murder mystery before.  I liked it, it worked well as a sort of pantomime - the Nymphs had to do girlish laughs whenever their names were mentioned. 

In the evening The Number 9 bus to Utopia was really good. Lots of things to think about, so we bought the DVD.

Have to go and tidy up for German B&B guests!   But will try and write more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment