Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Tuesday 16 August 2011

Post-riot punditry

Arrgh!  Almost worse than the riots for me is the endless stream of experts and politicians coming onto the radio and telling us what to think about it.  I have just heard the loathesome Michael Howard on the topic.  Nasty silky voice saying unbearably punitive things.  These people seem to understand nothing except retribution.  The courts are taking a ridiculously harsh stand on these cases - where a child of previously good character, repentant, supported by horrified parents is still getting some drastic punishment.  Have they not heard about the rejoicing in heaven over the one sinner who repents?  

I can imagine these purple faced magistrates - nearing retirement age after a life of telling other people what to do - feeling they have the judgement and the right to do awful things to kids who may have done what they did for reasons far more complex than the magistrates could ever understand.  I know there are nice magistrates, I know people have to be punished - but meden agan!  for goodness sake.  It is the pleasure and self-righteousness these people feel.  I know they cannot understand the situation - they would never have done anything like that - ergo nor should anyone else.  Have they not noticed that people are different - but that the oppositie of self-righteous isn't "out and out criminal"? 

I despair at the lack of understanding, the lack of creativity, the idea that if we import Bill Bratton from the US he will solve our problems (yes, there are no gangs in Chicago, New York etc. now are there?).  I despair at the things I have heard some of my friends say recently.  I know I am a wet liberal - that I understand too much and repress too little, but I do have some solutions.   I do believe we should institute some sort of social service for 6 months or a year that everyone would do after school.   It would cost a lot to set up, but it would give everyone the chance to understand other people's problems.  It would provide jobs (the young people would need supervision) for older people.  It would help create greater empathy in society if done properly.  

Ned (17) thinks it's a revolting idea - making young people do something - forcing them to give up their precious time etc. Outrage!  Therefore it is probably an idea, structure and discipline are important - I didn't find that out until I became freelance in the 90's and I think it was a bit late for me then, or rather I developed my own structure and discipline based on deadlines and what was urgent and making priorities according to that.

Now I am indulging in uninteresting punditry of my own - and so I will go away for a 3 hour drive to South Devon to see the famous Uncle Jeffrey - Mark's uncle whom I've never met.   It's a grey day, but I hope we'll find a nice pub to visit for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment