Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Monday 9 April 2012

Moodscope & Dungeness

There's an interesting website called Moodscope on which you can measure your moods every day.  I have been doing it for 5 days, you get feedback from them - which is helpful - and you can share it with friends (no one I've asked so far has been that interested!).  I started low - peaked on Easter Sunday - and have now declined (due to drinking! which does have something of a knock-on effect).   On Easter Sunday I think I felt good because I felt reasonably in control, and had the happy anticipation of seeing my father and Coells and her newish boyfriend... I had also had some ideas about the next novel re-write - and felt much more perky about that...

I suspect my "guilt" score is going to get higher as the arts festival approaches (a guilt inducing email arrived this morning, which I did not reply to as I was "on holiday").  The site sends you feedback - I wonder if I know my "guilt" score is going to rise does that indicate I should not offer to do these things?   I don't want to let other people down, but I also definitely don't want to get distracted from writing etc.  There's also the question of the PR - I can't be arsed to do it - wonder if Sam would be up for it?

Today we went to Dungeness - Mark wanted to go there and we had a nice long drive enabling my father to see the Royal Military Canal and a bit of Romney Marsh - they all went up the lighthouse - except me.  I dislike spiral stairs (vertigo coming down usually).  I sat in the car, read, dozed, stared at the rainswept landscape, the nuclear power station standing in the misty near-distance and the small scale trains of the Romney Dymchurch and Hythe railway.  We saw Derek Jarman's cottage... we went to a pub and decided not to eat there - it didn't look very thrilling and was a bit costly for what was on offer.  Since I had the most fantastic 3 course meal a few weeks ago for the price of one portion of lamb shank (probably the cash & carry frozen ones) I thought it was better for us to do what the boys wanted: go to Dover and eat at the ludicrously cheap Chinese place Chapter Eight.   So we did, then dashed into the museum and enjoyed the Bronze Age boat (still amazes me) and a nice exhibition of childhood in the past.   After that we felt as though we'd had a full day's entertainment.   I have to say that it rained all day and was very miserable: a great contrast with the baking days of last Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment