Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Sunday 22 April 2012

Rejuvenation!

Had such a great time yesterday.  M took Finn out in the morning - Ned was engaged with music etc. and I did some gardening - the sun shone.   At 1 ish Anna G came over and we decided we would go to the Grange - but have lunch first - so we had a bottle of wine and some stuff at Caboose - a newish cafe in the town - and had great crack.   So why spoil it with a trip to the Grange - which we'd both been to before?  We left Caboose, loud surfaces meant I couldn't hear so well - and she was talking in a low voice because the waitress is one of her neighbours (the joys of small town life).  So we went to another bar and had another bottle and some prawns... Then I went home to make pizza for the masses.  Knowing I would "have drink taken" I prepared the dough in advance - so just a matter of calling M to put the oven on and a wander up the hill...

Made pizza, Rafael was there - although he had just eaten (he keeps odd hours at the weekend) and Ned brought Dudge (spelling unsure?) back with him - so lots of pizzas (and a couple of glasses of wine), and nothing left over for sourdough (however, the sourdough mix is going well at present - keeping up nicely!).  Then Mark and I leaped up and went to collect Anna - we had decided to go to see an "Irish" band called The Trotwoods at St. Ethelbert's Church Hall (does that sound utterly naff?) - £3 - a bargain - and the music was tremendous - it was proper Irish music, 2 accordians, guitar, harp, banjo, 2 violins, bass and a bit of singing - a Frenchman, his wife, 2 teenage children and an older couple - a family - possibly an Irish grandfather?  Most of the music was Irish - with a couple of deviations into Americana (Does Your Chewing Gum Lose its Flavour... Shenandoah) - and some great songs.  It totally avoided the "sentimental repertoire" that I had feared - it was played with verve and a sense of fun and my feet tapped furiously, I even spontaneously began to hand clap - and I joined in the standing ovation.

I had wanted to go to the 45 RPM night at the Farmhouse in Canterbury - but Mark had shown little inclination - it started at 10.   But the urge to dance had been v. strong during the Trotwood's playing... so I asked Anna whether she would like to go.  She was up for it, so I told M she and I would go.   He then insisted on driving us there.  He had his grimmest, grumpiest expression and had decided in his wisdom that I had drunk too much..  He was tired and in my experience does not drive well when tired.   I told him as we went through St. Laurence that he should not take us - so he got out and walked home.

We then drove to Cants, found the pub eventually (I remembered the car park it was near!) and we went in.  It's an extraordinary place - furnished in vintage style - a Tretchicoff painting on the wall, old radios, G Plan beech tables and chairs... but the music was so loud that we couldn't talk to each other and furthermore, instead of being wonderful old R&B, Northern Soul, Afrobeat mix that they promised it was stuff way too obscure for me - and none of it made me want to dance (not that I would have dared to!).    We stayed 40 minutes, nothing improved so we went.   Such a disappointment - had been longing to go, but the music really underwhelming.  I thought it was going to be like the R&B thing I used to go to in Islington.

On the way home Anna (who is 10 years younger than me) said "I love the way I always feel younger when I'm with you."  I feel exactly the same - ludicrously young.  Actually, what I think it is, is that when we are together we always have fun - and that makes us both feel young...  Not in an undignified way - there were plenty of people our sort of age there, as well as a handful of young hipsters...  But we both have husbands who are a bit less interested in "fun" than we are (God knows, I have weeks of hermiting and generally doing my impression of Simon Stylites) and so when we are together we refresh each other.  I know other friends who do this, but are less available - actually, sadly Anna hasn't been available for a while since she's been in London...but her studio there has given her a lot of freedom and happiness, I wish I could do something similar.... but the children...Efforts to teach them to feed themselves are proceeding slowly... must get back on track!   Actually, if I had £600 a month to rent a studio with I'd do better to spend it on a cleaner and some trips to France.

Talking of young hipsters, Ned has done a great montage (specially recommended to fans of the Ramones) of friends and family.  I toyed with putting up a link, but as it shows unattractive pix of me eating (on a cross-channel ferry), I haven't.  I liked seeing the photos of Etaples - I wish we could go to France again - or anywhere.  Coells is going to Crete for a week - a mere £300 - but obviously for 4 of us that would be £1200 and we would have to eat and live while we were there.  I know that this phase will soon come to an end - I just need to learn patience (It's easier to be patient with people than with situations).  I'm wondering now if setting up a business in 2010 was really a good idea or just a complete waste of time?  Did it delay my writing efforts, or actually help firm up my resolve, by making me feel I'd tried "everything" and nothing was working.

No comments:

Post a Comment