Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Wednesday 4 April 2012

Nigel Farage...

Oh dear, saw a video of the dreaded Nigel Farage, a right-wing politician of dubious credentials who was speaking locally, being asked about equal marriage (the pc name for gay marriage - it is better I admit) - he made exactly the point I've made (and everyone else no doubt) that equal civil marriage will immediately result in European Human Rights cases - he claims that Peter Tatchell lines up issues like this... I admire Peter Tatchell, he's done a lot of good things, and seems to have some vague respect for the church... but I think what horrified me is the fact that I was agreeing with NF (and indeed a great many other people whom I actually know and like).  

I maybe ought to reassess my politics, I don't feel anything will ever eradicate my innate Marxism, but I cannot share the popular attacks on any established group just for the sake of it.  I might have agreed with some of it when I was in my 20s, but I guess I have developed a less polarised position, able to see more sides of the question.  Able to accept that people are not as we wish them to be, or as they ought to be.  Is this inherently conservative?  Not exactly, but I want people to be protected and educated, rather than having their noses rubbed into things.  On the other hand, the tactics of Gay Liberation in the 60s onward has lead to far greater acceptance of gays -or LGBT as they are now known.  I don't know what the answer is, I'm just unhappy with the conduct of the argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment