Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Sunday 28 October 2012

A Party for a Peter Blake exhibition

The other day when I was minding the shop I was also eavesdropping at what was happening on the tourist info. desk.  I heard the chief volunteer phoning around - to invite "influential people" to a re-launch of a pub.  Actually, the pub's been going strong, but its former manager has returned... so they're having a re-opening party. I wondered who the "influential people" were who were being invited, fairly safe in the knowledge that I wouldn't be one of them.  I'm not sure what it takes to be "influential" in Ramsgate - and who you'd be influencing - if it's Thanet District Council, any one with a brown envelope would be in this category, or the membership of a Masonic Lodge.

Anyway, one of the invitees I did hear the name of, has invited me (in her PR capacity) to something rather more interesting: the opening of a new proper art gallery a two minute walk from the house.  It's an interesting thing - a commercial art gallery - but a proper gallery - which is going to be holding commercial shows of really good known artists.  It is being located in an odd place, but the owner is already an established galleriste and has a strong list of clients - who will pursue her even to the wilds of Ramsgate... so should we expect parking problems? Or will they all come by train?

I am not quite sure why I've been invited: is it because I've written reviews of exhibitions for Thanet Watch (which probably makes me Thanet's leading art critic - pas grand chose, alors!) or because I am middle class and local.  It is certainly not because I am an art buyer likely to pick up the odd Peter Blake drawing, or even to influence my avid readership to do this. Maybe I have become "influential"? without realising it.  Now I am going to be fascinated about two things, firstly whether they do what Turner Contemptible did - have a couple of preview parties for locals and then have a really important party on the last night, or will it just be the one party - and we hoi polloi from Ramsgate will be rubbing shoulders with international art glitterati and buyers.  Will Peter Blake lui-meme be there?  There will be champagne - although I think putting that in the email title was a little de trop, no doubt it was to indicate that this would be no ordinary, prosecco reception.  The other fascination is - who will be there?  The 250 most "influential" people in Thanet?  Or just a few vaguely groovy people? Will it be commercial and sensible or just vaguely arty?  Will the elusive Ramsgate Millionaires be there?  Peter Blake is a very sensible choice for a first exhibition - figurative art always goes down a storm here...

So why me? What list do I appear on?  Who mentioned my name? Or is it just a mistake - like those weird people who follow one on Twitter?

No comments:

Post a Comment