Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Friday 26 October 2012

Staying up late

I don't really want to stay up late - but when Mark's away I can without anyone grumbling at me, so I do.  He has gone to the Society of Antiquaries to a lecture on Selborne Abbey - for which he is providing the pictures.  Tomorrow he is going to see his father, then go and see mine - we'll all have supper there on Friday night.   But first Friday has to be navigated.  The last 3 Fridays have all been hellish for some reason - due largely to my having had too much to do in the time available.  I daresay this Friday will be the same.  Rush, rush, rush - so why am I not in bed, sleeping the sleep of the just?  

If I'd really wanted to make a night of it I could have invited the whole Festival Club back to mine - but what would have been the point?  I would just have drunk a ludicrous amount and made Friday impossible to navigate.  I am going to sit in Suzy's shop again and read and think - it is usually quiet on Friday mornings, and I can read a serious book.  At the moment the book is Nick Cohen's You can't read this book - which is interesting.  My brain is really dying... I just have lost concentration - I think it's because I live so much of my time on the unconscious level - the writing etc.  And the super-charged daydreaming...

I had some very welcome feedback on TRF from Kirstie - not depressing enough - Denise thought bits of it too depressing - K would have preferred that Lucy jumped off the viaduct.  She loved the Benjie character - and the end, thought it was only slightly improbable.

Some songwriter was talking about Bob Dylan today and how they "borrowed" from him all the time in their songs.  I was thinking that I don't consciously borrow from literature - or rather I do do conscious intertextuality - deliberately, but I don't "borrow" plots and situations from literature - rather from life, so I've borrowed  bit of Bella, a bit of Michelle, some actual circumstances from the LO's life - and Kirstie said that Melissa was a classic gorgeous American ballbreaker... perhaps I should have made her Australian? which means that I haven't borrowed her from anywhere, she's just an archetype I picked off the shelf...so perhaps she was "borrowed" from literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment