Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Tuesday 4 October 2011

Raging virus plus literary anxiety....

Well - they always make you feel as if you are on your last legs.  Don't know how long this one will last, but it seems likely I will be missing a lot of fun stuff this week.  I have already missed the Kissed Off launch today - went to the doctor's instead.  I haven't been this ill since the virus I got at the end of April 2009.  It was in that fevered state that I wrote the first draft of the novel formerly called A Formative Year - now called The Romantic Feminist.   This book - which has much to recommend it - has now been rejected by a sixth agent.  I am not distraught, but I did have a feeling that that particular agent might be a good bet.  Never mind.  She thinks there are too many layers of introspection, and first person stuff.  First person novels are very "out" at the moment - it isn't all 1st person of course - but usually the feedback I've had from agents has been unhelpful - or not the sort of thing I agree with, i.e. that I should try to write more like Jodie Picoult. In this case the critique is something that has worried me slightly too. The question is - shall I do a re-write in 1st person, remove some of the extra introspection? 

I could try.

No comments:

Post a Comment