Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Monday 3 October 2011

The Turner - finally!

Victoria Pomeroy can sleep easily now - the new exhibition at the Turner is absolutely great, so good that I will have to go back and see it again.  It's called "nothing in the world but youth" and is absorbing - as well as having some good works by relatively well known artists - Hockney's We two boys together clinging and quite a bit of Peter Blake.  I went around with Finn - he doesn't like Peter Blake.  

There were also some new Turners there - some frankly wonky ones of local scenes (Minster and Margate) - but they were done when he was 9 so we can excuse that I think!

The thing I most enjoyed - probably - was a really silly installation of young people in Indonesia etc. doing karaoke versions of Smiths' songs.  Hysterical, touching, full of pathos really.  You can read their desire to be adult, groovy, engaged, their fantasy of what this means. 

On Tuesday Rodin's Kiss is arriving at the Turner - and a writing exhibition Kissed Off will be on at the Marine Studios - moving to the Harbour Arm.  I have a tiny extract from my novel in it... that's the previous novel - now re-named The Romantic Feminist.     Oh gawd - I must be ill, I really don't even feel like writing any more...

No comments:

Post a Comment