Reading while dead

Reading while dead

Saturday 7 July 2012

Language students

We often host language students in the summer - when money is tight.  At present we have two, a Russian boy Artem - and a Slovakian boy, Johny (not his real name!).  Artem was here on his own for a week, and was very charming, but since Johny has come, he is ruder and less agreeable.  Johny is more ingratiating, but a whinger.  He had an appendectomy 3 weeks ago - and complains he cannot eat - I don't think this is true - I think he is fussy about food.  He can eat crisps etc. when he wants.  J and A have what N&F call a "bromance" I think Artem is behaving worse to impress J.  He has just left one of his friends out in the rain for 25 minutes.  I told him not to make his friends wait outside. I asked the boy if he would like to come in, but he said no.  A may be a popular character, but no excuse to treat friends badly... I went and told him to hurry up - that he shouldn't leave his friends outside in the rain.  Why would you do that?  It seemed like a sort of controlling/bullying thing to do.

I know appreciate what an exemplary student Rafa was - and yet he made so little impact on us - or perhaps that was why I found him exemplary.  

No comments:

Post a Comment